A dental implant is the ‘Rolls Royce’ treatment to replace a missing tooth. It is done by careful placement of an artificial tooth root in the bone. An implant is made of specially prepared titanium that the body does not reject. This artificial root has an engineered internal thread that can be used to fix an artificial tooth. The whole system is a three part system.
- The Implant or Fixture within the bone.
- The Abutment- which screws into the internal thread of the fixture.
- The Crown – gives a lifelike look to the implant and restores chewing function.
Advantages of Implants
- The artificial tooth is supported by the implant in the bone and not by the teeth on either side of the gap, so there is no stress to them.
- Dental Implants are very long lasting and give excellent function in chewing.
- The major disadvantage is cost which is quite high when compared to other ways of filling a gap.
- There must be enough bone to support the implant.
- There may be a delay between placing the implant and fitting the abutment and crown while the bone heals.
Book in with our experienced dentists for a implants consultation. Call our friendly front office staff today: 04 472 3102